Seth Ellsworth, AIA, LEED AP, CDT
“Function, atmosphere, and concept are all informed by purpose”
Seth believes in the idea of the architect as “master builder”, with working knowledge of all aspects of the design, engineering, and construction of a project. His hands-on approach has been evident since his childhood obsession with Lego, through to drafting courses starting in the 8th grade, and construction jobs in high school. Always looking to broaden his education, Seth continues to reach out to creative professionals in other fields to learn from their unique challenges and solutions. These days, Seth’s attention to the feeling of a space has led him to develop a philosophy he calls “Form Follows Purpose”, whereby function, atmosphere, and concept are all informed by purpose. This idea can be illustrated by a quote from Yoshio Taniguchi “Architecture is basically a container of something. I hope they will enjoy not so much the teacup, but the tea.
Prior to joining Abramson Architects, he worked as Project Manager and Project Architect on large multi-family and mixed-use projects in the San Francisco area.
- B.Arch Illinois Institute of Technology
- Distinguished Building Award, AIA Chicago
- Honorable Mention Association of Collegiate Schools of Architecture
- Honorable Mention Slant International Landscape Design
- Lecturer at the Free School of Architecture
- Teaching Assistant at the Illinois Institute of Technology
- Research and Graphics assistant at the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat
- Projects and Writings published in several publications worldwide
Seth is obsessed with all things mechanical, from antique machinery to custom motorcycles. He likes the idea of being able to take something apart and seeing how it works. As a result, most of his belongings are much older than he is.
310-838-8998 x 311